Telecommuting the mix: VDMX, Syphon, CamTwist, and Skype
posted: June 26, 2012
I’ve been unable to travel with my colleague for several of our XAMBUCA shows due to work commitments and lack of funding. Not one to miss out on playing a gig I wanted to explore a few options for networked video performance. After about an hour of trying various search queries I was able to find a clue via Vade’s v00.info forum and cobble together a test sending a mix to CamTwist via Quartz Composer Syphon plugin and then on to Skype…and run it all from a MacBook Pro 5,1.
We were able to use this set up live recently for two performances in Portland, OR & Tacoma, WA (I’m here in Asheville, NC) and thanks to ample bandwidth on both ends I streamed a solid 720×480 20f mix without a hiccup for the duration of both performances.
One other solution I’d like to try but am currently unable to (our secondary on-site machine is an old black macbook that VDMX would kill) would be to stream control data to the secondary machine instead of video…and do an end run around bandwidth issues. In theory this sort of setup would allow for multi-site installations that could be controlled from a single machine.
For Sale: Intel Quad Core PC w/ BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme
posted: August 31, 2011
| I'm selling my Intel Quad Core powered Multimedia production PC because I need a MacBook Pro for a national tour in October.
- Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n Socket 775 Mother Board
- Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850 QUAD Core CPU @ 3.00 GHZ (Review: http://www.techspot.com/review/59-intel-core2-extreme-qx6850/)
- 8GB Crucial DDR3 System Memory
- PNY NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS DMS 512MB R3 PCI-e Graphics Card (Outputs Supported: VGA VGA or DVI-I DVI-I or DVI-I VGA)
- BlackMagic Decklink HD Extreme SD/HD/2K 4:4:4 Video Card w/ SDI, HDMI & Analog i/o (Specs & Reviews: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746054-REG/Blackmagic_Design_BDLKHDEXTR3DPLUS_DeckLink_HD_Extreme_3D.html)
- ViewSonic Graphics Series G70fmb Flat Screen CRT Monitor (max res 1280x1024 @60hrz)
- Dual Port USB 3.0 Card ( transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s)
- 1 x 70GB WDC WD740GD System SATA HDD (OS Drive)
- 2 x 500GB WDC WD5000AAKS SATA HDD (Matching pair for RAID 0,1)
- 1 x 500GB Seagate ST3500630AS SATA HDD
- 6 Bay SATA Hot Swap
- Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D ATA
- Proactive Technologies Heavy Duty Server Case 600W Power Supply
- Floppy Drive
- Windows 7 64bit Other Software
Kool-Aid Man in Second Life
posted: September 21, 2010
| "Is Second Life the theatre of the absurd?"
Definitely worth checking out this site and video to see just what can be done with machinema... plus it's a great discussion on the place of art in a digital culture
| Art theory
Solatrium: Asheville Premiere
posted: February 22, 2010
| After having it’s world premiere at Slamdance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, Solatrium will finally be screening for three nights at the Fine Arts Theater!
Solatrium will have it’s Asheville premiere on Thursday, February 25th at 7pm and will also play Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th at 9pm at the Fine Arts Theater in downtown Asheville. We will also screen footage from We Won’t Bow Down about the Mardi Gras Indians and The Holy Ghost Electric about the soul gospel circuit in the South.
Browse creative directory
Browse company directory